89s52 is widely used IC in 8051 FAMILY.
It is programmed using ICSP with an external programmer USBASP (AVRDUDE).89S52 has no BOOTLOADER , so it cannot be programmed through SERIAL Port.
W78E052DDG is 8051 compatible 8-bit controller from Nuvoton with 8K programmable flash memory in 40 Pin DIP package,This chip has separate dedicated 2K boot-loader memory, which makes this chip robust and very stable .It supports ISP program downloading from PC using RX-TX lines only.
Other specifications match exactly 89S52.
It contains an 8K-byte Flash EPROM , a 256-byte RAM; four 8-bit bi-directional (P0, P1, P2, P3) and bit-addressable I/O ports , an additional 4-bit I/O port P4; three 16-bit timer/counters , a hardware watchdog timer , and a serial port , The instruction set is fully compatible with the standard 8052. Note that the actual part number of the chip in the 40-pin DIP package is W78E052DDG
Uploading Hex File Using nuvoTon
In this tutorial, we will be discussing how to upload the .hex files to nuvoTon chip for 8051 Starter board.
For flashing the hex files, we will be using the Nuvoton ISP-ICP Utility software.
Usb To Serial Driver Installation
Check this tutorial for installing CP2102 Usb-to-Serial drivers.
Nuvoton ISP-ICP Utility
The nuvoTon w78E052D controller comes with UART boot-loader and can be directly programmed from the serial port. In this tutorial series, we are using "Nuvoton ISP-ICP Utility software" to program the target MCU. Download Nuvoton ISP-ICP Utility software.
Now open the Nuvoton ISP-ICP Utility software and follow the below steps.
- Select the ISP by COM port option for flashing the .hex file through COM port.
- Select the COM port from the drop down. Check device manager for the com port number.
- Choose the required controller. In this case, it is W78E052D.
- Browse and select the .hex file by clicking on Load File.
- Finally click on Update chip to flash the .hex file.
Below screen shot shows the flashing status in blue color progress bar.
A popup will appear after successful flashing of hex file.
- Note:The Nuvoton ISP Utility holds the reset line of the controller and does not allow it to run until OK is pressed. After which the controller starts running the code.
- Product Code: W78E052
- Availability: In Stock
Tags: Nuvoton W78E052